2023 Tohoku Program
Join us in the far north of Honshu, the main island of Japan, for 12 days exploring some of the hidden gems of Japanese ski areas in the Tohoku region. We will base ourselves in 2 distinctive zones; Aomori Prefecture in the north and then Akita Prefecture a little further to the south. Each small group (max 4 people) will have their own van and guide and we will explore as many of the under the radar resorts and backcountry as we can. At night, we will take you out to one of the many amazing restaurants in the area.
If you thought Hokkaido was relatively unknown, then Tohoku is even more so. 2023 will be our 3rd winter Tohoku and we can’t wait to show you around an amazing area where the powder is still abundant. Come and experience what all the talk is about. Japow is not one to be missed!
Session 1: 1st – 12th February 2023.
Other dates can be available on request.
Twin or double room share - $4,225 USD per person.
Single room price - $4,545 USD per person.
Pricing is based on 4 people in the group. If there are less than 4 people in the group and we can still run the session, then expect price to be higher.
$1,000 USD per person, per trip and is non-refundable.
If a trip has to be postponed by The Adventure Project, then your deposit will be held for a future trip of your choice. If the guest cancels their trip, then they would lose their deposit. Payment can be made by check, bank transfer, Venmo or PayPal. Guests are responsible for paying any fees that PayPal charges.
By sending in your deposit, then you agree to our Terms and Conditions as listed on our website. Please make sure therefore that you have read these Terms and Conditions prior to sending in any money. As soon as you have sent in your deposit, you must purchase your travel insurance. Travel insurance is mandatory for this trip.
Final balance must be paid into our account before December 1st 2022.
Availability will be on a first come first served basis. We have the capacity to run 3 groups per session, with a maximum of 4 guests per group with 1 guide, so 12 guests in total with 3 guides. Normally the minimum we need is 4 guests for a group to run, but sometimes we can run a smaller group at the discretion of the guides. If there are less than 4 people in this group, then expect that the price will be higher.
Skiers and snowboarders, intermediate to expert level. Guests must already be comfortable skiing or riding in powder and are able to link fluid turns in black and double black diamond terrain (if heading off-piste). Advanced groups will predominantly be riding in the trees or open, gladed terrain. We will spend relatively little time on groomed runs. Whilst the terrain is generally not that steep, some of the trees can be tight at times. The snow is definitely deep and light though!
Intermediate groups will spend more time riding inbounds in the resort looking for powder at the side of the trails or in the edge of the trees. Once confidence and ability has been established in easier terrain, then intermediate groups can then start to venture off-piste.
If we are riding in potential avalanche terrain, all guests must have full avalanche safety gear (beacon, shovel and probe). You will be put through our avalanche safety training program at the start of the trip. There is only one guide per group and often they will be setting the line, so we ask that you be able to get up by yourself in the event of a fall as there is no tail guide to help you up.
It is recommended to have for our more advanced groups to have uphill capability (fat skis and touring bindings/skins or splitboards or powder board/snowshoes/poles) in case we need to hike. Intermediate groups will only need touring gear if they would like to do some introductory ski touring.
- 12 days of hosting and guiding by The Adventure Project (TAP) with 4 guests to 1 guide.
- Private van hire and driving from TAP.
- Comprehensive avalanche safety training.
- Feedback on technique for skiers and boarders who want it.
- Opportunity to explore local restaurants and cultural sites after skiing.
- Pickup at the Shin-Aomori Station and drop off at the Morioka Station (must be at the scheduled time).
- 3 night’s accommodation at the Hirosaki Art Hotel, including buffet breakfast.
- 3 night’s accommodation at the Hachimantai Mountain Hotel, including buffet breakfast and free onsen.
- 5 night’s accommodation at the Shizukuishi Prince Hotel, including buffet breakfast and free onsen.
- Up to 10 guided days on the mountain exploring as many under the radar resorts as you would like.
- Airfare (fly to Tokyo, Narita or Haneda).
- Train tickets (travel to the Shin-Aomori Station for pickup at the start of the trip. Departure will be from Morioka back to Tokyo Station at the end of the trip).
- Lift tickets (not included as we don't know where we will be skiing each day and for how long, budget $35 a day).
- Any extra accommodation in Tokyo, Aomori etc.
- Lunches ($10) per day.
- Dinners ($15) per day.
For more detailed information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.....